22 December 2009

Shop Lifters Of The World Unite


My friend Will first introduced me to the concept of ethical shop lifting. He was in the midst of a his Master's thesis, an anti-authoritarian critique of Marxism of some form or another. Anyway, he couldn't afford all the texts he needed and so he'd help himself from various large bookstores that belonged to one of the offensive chains that have put most small independent book shops out of business in recent years.

I was young and naive, fresh off the boat, from a comfortable expat existence, and was astounded that someone had thought out the politics to justify thievery.

It has been awhile since I've done any worthwhile thieving. I'm back on the ethical fence.

But I was heart-warmed by this story of The Reverend Tim Jones who encourages his congregation to steal what they need during these economically desperate times.


"I would ask that they do not steal from small, family businesses, but from national businesses..." -Father Tim Jones.

Good on Ya, Father!

So, if you can't afford good food, your text books or all those Christmas presents- perhaps you should just fucking nick 'em from your nearest union-busting, small-business destroying, global monoculture promoting, chain store! After, all Father Tim has helped ensure us all tht shoplifting can indeed be ethically viable.

But, please don't get caught.