31 October 2015

Hell Surfers



In 1963 my dear old Auntie Larry went deep undercover with the Hell Surfers of Leech Lane on Oregon's North Coast. Consider, that this was three years before Hunter S Thompson published his notorious Hells Angel's expose. Students of 60s radical journalism now posit that HST never actually met a Hell's Angel at all and his book was a merely a sad attempt to emerge from beneath Auntie Larry's literay shadow. 

If you don't believe me consider this quote from Larry's "Hell Surfers: A weirdo gang of thrill-seekers on a sin and crime rampage." 

 It had been a bad trip ... fast and wild in some moments, slow and dirty in others, but on balance it looked like a bummer. On my way back to Portland, I tried to compose a fitting epitaph. I wanted something original, but there was no escaping the echo of Mistah Kurtz' final words from the heart of darkness: "The horror! The horror! ... Exterminate all the brutes!"