19 May 2020

This young man. 19. Truly a beautiful mind. The odds were stacked against him from day one. But a love of and incredible aptitude for science and mathematics got him through so much. After his family gave up on him, he spent many months living in a dormitory with troubled men, decades older than him. While he trying to focus on physics, someone might shit in his laundry or attempt to steal his laptop. 

 After some time, he gets into a living situation that is more age appropriate, and soon gets himself enrolled in college. HIs instructors tell him things like, "That was a flawless paper, I wish I could give you more than an A." He benefits immensely from school, studies and structure. 

 Then Covid 19 hits. His world, like so many others falls apart in weeks. No more classes. What will the future look like? Will I get Covid 19? Wait... Do I have Covid 19 right now? He holes up in a small dark room with his terrible thoughts, the paranoia sets in and quickly consumes him. He spirals. His brain re-wires itself in initially sad but soon scary ways. He hurts three people. I can't explain why. I thought he'd hurt himself before others, but now he has traumatized three other people. He will likely go to prison. He will likely get eaten alive before he turns twenty. 

I reel. 

I'm reeling.