18 June 2021

Fixed Gear Metric Century On A Stolen Bike

I decided I had to spend some extra time on this bike after I retrieved it from a thief last week. If you know me, you know this bike. I've had it about fifteen years now. My oldest material possession. Nothing fancy about it but we've seen some things together... 

___________________________
First off I believe I received more sympathy from a stolen bike than I would have if I had had a heart attack. You people get me. So thanks!

 

Anyway, Alison and I were on our way to TuffShed to get a replacement lock for our broken into shed, to no avail. On the way home we drive by some Chop Shop hot spots to look for my stolen bike. Again to no avail. So we decided to resign ourselves to hard kombucha at John’s Market (Ginger Lime is our current jam).

 

Driving West down Powell at about 68th I see my fucking bike! On the other side of the road being ridden west but some dude. I ask Alison to stop the car, jump out and negotiate my way across four lanes of rush-hour traffic as the adrenaline begins to surge. 

 

The closer I get I realize the dude it not that small and looks a little gnarly (Alison said he looked soft). So I decide to go in 100% and give him no option.

 

“That’s my fucking bike!”

 

“What dude?”

 

“That’s my fucking bike!”

 

“Ha ha sure. No its not.”

 

“That’s my fucking bike!”

 

“I just bought it.”

 

“I don’t care. That’s my fucking bike.”

 

and then he slowly got off my bike and handed it to me.

 

“Take your fucking bike, then.”

 

And I did. No one was hurt and I have my bicycle back. Thank you all for looking out for me. I was already day dreaming about a new bike but this is way better.