08 September 2021

K Curb


Curbs. I was starting to look beyond curbs. But it is where it all started and where it will all end. There is no getting away from that. I have known of this Fire Lane curb for some time but I had been delaying sampling it. Short on time and inspiration, last Sunday, I grabbed my board and walked over to this curb. I walked to keep my presence discrete. The air was hot, humid and hazy, as was my hair. This brilliant red curb was in the shade. Perhaps a few centimeters lower than your typical Portland curb. A cheater but also gift to experimentation. A half hour blast resulted in movement in new directions. This clip will not come with directions. 

The next day I went surfing at my favorite spot. I was the first out, paddling into the mist, completely unaware of how the waves were unloading on the reef. Turns out they were mostly slow and sloppy. The hordes soon followed, as did the jostling and competition. The rip sucked us all on top of each other for three hours. I snagged a few including one set wave bomb, but really, this curb cuts clearer than all that shit. I didn't think it would be this way at this stage of the game.