29 May 2022

21 Years in Portland Oregon

walking to the bookshop to pick up a Robinson Jeffers collection before I leave town for a week, 
a skateboarder, 
twenty-one years my junior blasts by taking one lane of the road 
pococurante 
grabbing my attention 

you can learn a lot about authenticity by a push 
this young man is the real thing 

inside the bookshop, I can’t find much Robinson Jeffers.
I hear that this is the case with this California poet 
I finger through one slim volume but no words grab my attention 
I put it back on the shelf and suddenly realize there are a lot of great poets between J and O 
among them 
Leroi Jones 
Mary Oliver 
I pick up a collection by Mary Oliver and read a great poem about death
and that’s me and $20
easily separated 

outside the bookshop the same skateboarder is sitting down reading Hesse’s Siddhartha 
twenty-one years ago I wouldn’t have said anything to him 
but today I say, “That’s a good one.” he grunts back “It sure is.” 

I still love this city but I can’t wait to get into the woods with Mary.