18 February 2011

Just managed to get through to my parents in Bahrain. It was hard to know what to say on a number of levels. I know phone calls have been listened in on in the past. I didn't want to go off on any rant that would put them under any scrutiny. I could tell they were also being careful about what they said. For one they think I'm a worrier and second, I sensed concern from them about what should be talked about. At this stage, I don't think Western Expats are really the concern of either side. The dissidents are just trying to dodge bullets while burying the dead, while the army is busy enforcing Marshall Law. Meanwhile, journalists are being detained in the airport... but word is getting out. The whole world is watching. As I hung up on the phone with my dad, we both agreed, nothing will ever be the same again for Bahrain.